West Elementary School
1886; 1899, 1906 additions
The West School was Stoughton’s first primary school. Classes were held here until 1982, and the building was converted to apartments in 1988. Despite two additions, the exterior remains much the same as when it was constructed. The tall, round-and segmental-arched window openings are distinctive features of the design. On the east side, the windows cover the entire wall. The adaptive use of this building has resulted in the conservation of historic architectural features as well as the preservation of the building’s long history in the neighborhood.
The original building consisted of three rooms completed in 1886. In 1897, a one room addition was completed. Another addition was made in 1906. By this time, Stoughton’s population was over 4,200 and the West School was one of four graded elementary schools in the city.