Ole and Clara Terry
The Terry House is Stoughton’s best remaining example of the Colonial Revival Style. With its monumental Corinthian portico and four columns supporting a balcony, it shows the impact of the 1893 Columbian World’s Fair (held in Chicago) on local architecture. The many white classical buildings at the fair were influential in turning taste from Victorian bric-a-brac to classical as well as Colonial Revival features. At least three houses were built in this impressive mode around 1905. In addition to the Terry House, the Johnson House on South page and the Henry Severson House on E. Main were illustrated in the Souvenir of StoughtonWis. and LakeKegonsa (1908).
Terry, a native of Illinois, was the president of the Department Company Store in the Hyland Block on Main Street. He died in a train accident soon after the completion of this house. Clara Terry (born 1874) resided here with her two sons Owen and Grassie, her mother Ellen Rockefeller, and her sister, Helen Rockefeller. Helen was a Stoughton school teacher. The house was later converted to its current use; it is now the Olson, Holzhuter and Cress Funeral Home.