Residential Design Guidelines

East Side Tour

Northwest Tour

Southwest Side Tour

East Park Tour

Historic Main Street Tour

Downtown Design Guidelines

The Commission Publications

Related Links

COA &  Instructions

Glossary

 

 


The Northwest Side Historic District: A Walking Tour
W. Main Street and S. & N. Monroe Street

 

600 west main street

600
Naham Parker House
ca. 1854-55

The Parker House is an excellent example of the Greek Revival style and is one of the city’s oldest remaining houses. Features such as corner pilasters, a deep classical cornice, and the sidelit entry are of particular note.

This house was erected long before the residential area to the north and south had much development. It appears on the 1871 Bird’s Eye View of Stoughton.

Naham Parker was born in Vermont; prior to his Stoughton residence he lived near Cooksville. Parker dies in 1880 at the age of 68. The house was later owned by his daughter, Francella Dearborn.

125 n monroe street

125 (S)
J. Hartley and Ella Criddle
1915

The brick Criddle House is a handsome example of the American Foursquare Style. This term includes the many simple, hip-roofed houses that were built in Stoughton about 1910-1920, as well as more elaborately detailed houses such as this one. Hers, two shades of brick, a spacious porch, and prominent overhanging eaves enhance the exterior.

Criddle, a florist, operated a greenhouse on the site that is now CriddlePark. The household included Perley, the Criddle’s son. Later, the house was used as a funeral home. It is now a private residence.

 

424 west main street

424
Ernest Brewer
1922

The brick and stucco exterior of this Craftsman style house shows attention to natural finishes and simplicity. This characteristic is seen on many houses influenced by the American Arts and crafts movement. The low hipped roof is typical of the style.

Ernest Brewer was a salesman, according to city directories. After about 1900, house construction along busy Main Street outside the downtown area was mixed in with a variety of other uses, including churches and businesses.

 

225 n monroe street

225 (N)
John C. and Bertina Sampson
1904

With its wrap-around, Ionic-columned porch overlooking the Monroe Street hill, the Sampson House exemplifies a popular version of the Queen Anne Style built throughout the city at the turn of the century. The hipped-roof carriage barn at the rear is also of note.

The Sampsons were natives of Norway. Both arrived in the United States while in their twenties. John was the manager of a Stoughton hardware store.

 

Northwest Walking Tour   NW 2 NW 3 NW 4 NW 5 NW 6 NW 7 NW 8 NW 9 NW 10 NW Map
 


Web site by  Web-Net   webnet@web-net.us