Residential Design Guidelines

East Side Tour

Northwest Tour

Southwest Side Tour

East Park Tour

Historic Main Street Tour

Downtown Design Guidelines

The Commission Publications

Related Links

COA &  Instructions

Glossary

 

 


The Northwest Side Historic District: A Walking Tour
Jackson Street and N. Madison Street

 

504 jackson street

504
William C. and Elizabeth Dallmeyer
1893

With its hipped roof and incised brackets at the eaves as well as a spindled porch, the Dallmeyer House shows elements of both the Italianate and Queen Anne styles. The present owners have restored the exterior to its historic appearance.

William and Elizabeth Dallmeyer were natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio. They were married in Madison in 1891 and came to Stoughton shortly thereafter. William was a tobacco dealer and hotel owner. Later owners converted the property to a two family house; it has again been restored to single-family.

group portrait
216 madison street

216
Dr. B. Atwood
1892

With its complex massing, clipped gable roofs, and variety of wooden trim, this compact house is an excellent example of a popular version of the Queen Anne style. Such designs were usually derived from one of the many pattern books of the period.

Atwood is not listed in the 1906 directory or 1900 census.

616 and 624 jackson street

616 and 624
Dahlby (616) and Flom (642)
1902, 1904

The Queen Anne Style Dahlby and Flom houses are typical of many of those built around 1900 throughout the area. Likely constructed by one of the Stoughton builders (such as Holmstad, Hill, or Jenson), the designs were usually derived from popular pattern books. A spindled front porch, irregular plan, and hip-and-gable roof were standard features. Although this house style was quite standard in the 1890s, a revolution was underway. Nearby, the Swan House at 105 W. Prospect (1911) and the Patterson House (1912) at 716 W. Patterson well demonstrate the new ideas.

The Dahlbys and Floms were all natives of Norway. Ole, a tailor, and Anna Dahlby owned 616. Ole and Martha Flom were retired when the 1906 Stoughton directory was published.

Group portrait taken in front of the Dallmeyer House, ca. 1930. Photo courtesy Pat Murphy.

 

224 madison street

224
Sever P. and Mary Egtvedt
1902

Graced with a faceted corner tower and a classical porch, the Egtvedt house shows the influence of classical styles on the Queen Anne.

Sever was born in Norway in Voss, 1839 and arrived in the U.S. in 1844 with his parents. The first settled at Koshkonong. Mary Egtvedt was born in Wisconsin about 1855 to Norwegian parents.

The Egtvedts had seven children. In 1911 they moved to Ballard,Washington, were three of their children were living.

 

 

Northwest Walking Tour   NW 2 NW 3 NW 4 NW 5 NW 6 NW 7 NW 8 NW 9 NW 10 NW Map
 


Web site by  Web-Net   webnet@web-net.us