Edward and Gjertrud Erickson
The Queen Anne Erickson House appears to announce the success of its first owner. It has a prominent arched porch or loggia at the second story, a feature seen on a number of Stoughton houses of this period. Also notable are the ionic veranda and a soaring bellcast gabled roof. The shells above the attic windows and a garland frieze on the porch are other interesting details.
This house has long been known as the “NickelPalace.” The story is that the house was built from the sale of the many nickel beers that Ed Erickson sold at his downtown tavern. Erickson was a native of Norway and came to DaneCounty in 1871. He began his career in Stoughton at the T. G. Mandt Wagon Works. Later he had a restaurant and tavern and sold real estate in Wisconsin and Minnesota. In 1906 he built the Erickson Block on the northeast corner of Main and Water Streets. (One contemporary writer called it “the finest business block in the city.”)
This house was reportedly built for $8,000. Edward and Gjertrud Erickson had two daughters, Alma and Amy.