Residential Design Guidelines

East Side Tour

Northwest Tour

Southwest Side Tour

East Park Tour

Historic Main Street Tour

Downtown Design Guidelines

The Commission Publications

Related Links

COA &  Instructions

Glossary

 

 


Historic Main Street: On-line Walking Tour

 

TOUR B

18.  401 East Main Street: Filling Station

This small cream brick filling station was constructed between 1912 and 1926. it is all that remains of a larger automobile sales and repair shop complex that belonged to Samuel Peterson, who was mayor of Stoughton from 1904 -1906. As with the Roe Building, this building represents a change in the local economy from wagon manufacturing to automobile sales and service beginning in the late 1910ís.

 

19.  421 East Main Street:  Hanson House

The Hanson House / Grand Hotel is a two story commercial vernacular building with Italianate details. It had a kitchen, bar-room, laundry and servantsí bedrooms in the basement, office, ladies parlor and twelve bedrooms on the street level, and twenty-seven bedrooms on the second floor. In 1893 the name was changed to the Grand Hotel.

 

Main Street Walking Tour   MS 10   MS 12   MS 16   MS 19   MS 22   MS 26   MS 27   MS 31   MS 33