16. 288 East Main Street: Roe Building 910’s through the
Built in 1913, this building reflects the necessary change in emphasis from wagon manufacturing, which was a major element in Stoughton’s economy, to automobile sales and service from the late 1910’s through the present. It housed the first automobile business in Stoughton. The Roe Automobile Company sold Overland, Oakland, Paige and Jewett, Chandler, and Willys-Knight automobiles. This garage had a capacity of 20 cars.
Of particular interest is the tripartite window under a wide segmental arch in the center of the main elevation. This second story window was originally used as a show window. The second story floor was reinforced to support cars on display on the second story. The “bullet-shaped” corner protectors at the main entrance are typical of automobile-related buildings of the 1910’s through the 1930’s.