Residential Design Guidelines

East Side Tour

Northwest Tour

Southwest Side Tour

East Park Tour

Historic Main Street Tour

Downtown Design Guidelines

The Commission Publications

Related Links

COA &  Instructions

Glossary

 

 


Historic Main Street: On-line Walking Tour

 

12.  100 – 110 East main Street: Scheldrup Pharmacy

Built in 1897, this is one of the few buildings on Main Street that exhibits a Queen Anne influence.  The present tower was recently rebuilt.  It had been added to the building between 1904 and 1912, perhaps as a reaction to the tower on the newly constructed building (#6) across the street. This building has been a pharmacy throughout its history.

14.  180 East Main Street:  Jensen Block

This building, the Jenson Block, also has round headed windows with compound brick arches. The use of round-headed arches came earlier in the Italianate style than the use of segmental arches. This building was constructed between 1871 and 1882.

13.  160 East Main Street: Masonic Hall

Built in 1869, the Masonic Hall rises three stories above Main Street. The building is one of the most impressive on Main Street due to round-headed windows surmounted by compound arches which punctuate the cream brick façade.  Other buildings on Main Street have segmental rather than round arches.  While the original metal cornice has been removed, the cornice line and frieze are decorated with brick details and an inscription stone identifying the building as the Masonic Hall.

15.  246  East Main Street: United States Post Office

The Post Office features many Art Deco details, particularly in the transom above the main entrance, the scones on either side of the entrance, and the iron hand rails flanking the main stairs.  An original mural entitled “Air Mail Service” executed by Edmund Lewandowski adorns the west wall of the lobby.

The first post office in Stoughton was established in 1848 at an unknown site. In 1881, the Post Office was moved to the Williams Block (which burned in the early 1960’s, it was on the site of 129 W. Main). Between 1904 and 1912, the Post Office moved to what is now the east section of the Wisconsin Power and Light and Stationery House building. In 1938, the Post Office moved to this building designed by Louis Simon, Treasury Department architect.

 

Main Street Walking Tour   MS 10   MS 12   MS 16   MS 19   MS 22   MS 26   MS 27   MS 31   MS 33