9. 201 West Main Street: Hyland-Olsen Block
Built in 1897, this large Neo-Classical (Classical Revival) building was designed by Milwaukee Architect Jay Knapp and constructed by local contractors George Becker and Fred Hill. It was owned and operated by K.G. Olsen and Dr. Francis Hyland. It housed Stoughton’s first and finest department store – the Department Company Store, the first telephone exchange, and bank, offices, and meeting halls for fraternal organizations.
Neo-Classical details on the building are a physical representation of the importance of this building to the community. The bracketed metal cornice features a central raised pediment ornamented with decorative moldings and finials. Rusticated stone piers frame the building and divide the façade into bays. A rock-faced stone lintel course surmounts the windows and a stone sill course underscores them. A corbelled brick course runs beneath the cornice and a large terra cotta crest ornaments the upper stories of the front façade. The legend (Department Co.) is still visible. Originally the building had interior cast iron columns, large plate glass display windows, and an elevator.