Residential Design Guidelines

East Side Tour

Northwest Tour

Southwest Side Tour

East Park Tour

Historic Main Street Tour

Downtown Design Guidelines

The Commission Publications

Related Links

COA &  Instructions

Glossary

 

 


The East Side Historic District: A Walking Tour
E. Main Street

 

848 east main street 916 east main street

848
Christ Lutheran Church
1914 (razed)

This late Gothic Revival building was erected over the earlier frame church of 1875. The brown brick and stone structure rested on a concrete foundation. (Photo courtesy of Alaine Johnson.)

916
Halvor and Tilla Lee
1917

One of the district's best examples of an Arts and Crafts bungalow, this house has a shed roof with knee braces under the eaves, splayed posts at the porch, and multi-paned sash. Such well-detailed bungalows were popular in Stoughton in the teens and early twenties.

921 east main street

921
Abraham L. Severson
1887

The original roofline of the Severson House was lost in a fire many years ago, along with a mansard-roofed tower on the west side. (See first page.) The now-restored building retains many other original details, including a bracketed cornice and elaborate window enframements.

According to local tradition, this house was a wedding gift from Sever H. Severson (1840-1897) to his son Abraham Lincoln Severson and his wife Emma. Abraham, a real estate dealer, and Emma Asbjornson had two children, Gladys and Ingebor.

sever h severson

Sever H. Severson was a native of Norway and was raised on a Dunkirk Township farm. His career included work in a Stoughton dry goods store, gold mining in Colorado in the early 1860s, and a partnership in Severson and Bronson’s Planing Mill. He entered this business in 1867, and was subsequently involved in a number of other enterprises including real estate, groceries and tobacco. Sever and Gurina Severson had four children including Abraham and Hattie. Hattie was the wife of John Holtan (1004 E. Main St.). After Gurina’s death, Sever married Carrie Peterson; they lived on the Severson farm east of the city.

Severson’s planing mill was the exclusive Wisconsin manufacturer of Fawcett’s Patent blinds. In 1880 the firm made about 8,000 pairs of blinds and employed 12 men.

 

 

East Side Walking Tour   ES 2   ES 3   ES 4   ES 5   ES 6   ES 7   ES 8   ES 9   ES 10   ES 11   Acknowledgment
 


Web site by  Web-Net   webnet@web-net.us