Residential Design Guidelines

East Side Tour

Northwest Tour

Southwest Side Tour

East Park Tour

Historic Main Street Tour

Downtown Design Guidelines

The Commission Publications

Related Links

COA &  Instructions

Glossary

 

 


The East Side Historic District: A Walking Tour
Academy Street

 

N. Academy Street

225 north academy street

225
Halver and Bergit Christenson
1905

The peaked lintels at the windows of the Christenson House appear to be original features. Although tax and building records suggest a 1905 date, the house resembles others (like 117 S. Academy) of an earlier date.

The Christensons were natives of Norway. Halver came to the U.S. in 1885 as a child. He became a Stoughton jeweler.

In 1910 Halver and Birgit Christenson shared this house with their 2-year-old son, Christen; a 15-year old servant girl, and another Norwegian-born couple who were boarders.
 

S. Academy Street

117 south academy street

117
Lars and Augusta Skau
1888

The Skau House has a steep gable roof, an L-shaped plan and windows trimmed with ornate lintels. These are characteristics of Stoughton's simple houses called "gabled ells."

The Skaus were natives of Norway and both arrived in the U.S. in 1883. Lars was a wagon shop foreman. In about 1899 the family moved to 209 Franklin Street. Lars and Augusta's son Alfred, a wagon shop machinist, also lived at 209.

S. Academy Street

125 s academy street

125
Osev and Tone Overland
1905

This Queen Anne Style building, like the Holtan-Rue House at 117 S. Franklin, has a steeply-pitched hipped roof, projecting gables, and narrow siding. This was a very popular style on the East Side after the turn of the century.

Three generations of Overlands lived in this house. Osev was a carpenter. His son Oscar was in the local gasoline business for fifty years, and operated the Mobil station at W. Main and Page streets. Ed, another son, operated a Mobil station at E. Main and Academy streets.

 

201 south academy street

201
East Side Public School
1892

The East Side Public School was built to serve the growing east side population. The mansard-roofed, cream brick exterior is crowned by a four-story square tower rising above the west elevation. The tower has a straight mansard roof; the round-arched openings surrounded the school bell. William Gould, a local contractor, erected the building.

An addition was made in 1908. The school remained in use until 1981, and was then converted to rental units known as the "East School Apartments."

 

East Side Walking Tour   ES 2   ES 3   ES 4   ES 5   ES 6   ES 7   ES 8   ES 9   ES 10   ES 11   Acknowledgment
 


Web site by  Web-Net   webnet@web-net.us